Thursday, December 18, 2014

Meet Mommy (before she was mommy)

Two days ago I was awakened to my sweet son's voice...

Mommy, I made you and Daddy a present.  I made a (bla, bla, bla)  I used  bla, bla, bla and glued your wedding DVD....

WHATTTTTT?????

I jumped out of bed and ran into the living room to find the sole copy of our wedding video glued to a case. I freaked out. It is irreplaceable. After  I calmed down, I was able to wash the wet glue off. I haven't tested the DVD yet because I am not prepared to deal with my emotions if the DVD is permanently damaged,

So it reminded me of the last time I played it. It was my anniversary and my husband Frank was working. I popped it in to watch with my son, thinking he would enjoy seeing his family on TV. I was not prepared for his emotional reaction to it, He was so upset, crying. He was upset that he wasn't there, that we had a party and didn't invite him. He just couldn't understand the idea that he didn't exist yet. 

So I am using this experience to plan a theme for my personal work this year. I will be injecting my kids into my past. There are a few places that are defining. They are those places that when I think back to the moments when I was there, it stirs something up inside. 

So far, I have planned to shoot at Coney Island (summer of fun 2001 - Jenn you get this one), Bay Ridge (my first apartment was here), Seaside Heights (I pay homage every summer and loved it even before it was destroyed), my highschool (I was one of the few that LOVED hs) and NYC (college), Oh, most importantly, the Sapphire Lounge in NYC (where I met Frank).  


No comments:

Post a Comment