Friday, December 19, 2014

Lights. Trees. Action!

I recently upgraded my favorite camera to a full frame. I am so excited for the capabilities in low light situations.  I feel like it opens up a whole new whole for me. So I busted it out of my pretty boring case (hint, hint to hubby: would love a cute camera bag), and rounded up the kids for some dramatic tree shots.
I thought I would share some tricks in case some of you want to try the same at home...
First, plug in your tree and turn out all of the other lights.

Next, plant an exciting ornament on the side of the tree. Maybe one from the top that the kids don't get to see normally.

Then, have the your child stand facing the tree. You need the light of the tree to light up their sweet little faces. (You will be shooting head on so they should be on one side of the tree)

Try to resist the urge to tell them to smile. Let them check out the tree and be themselves. Tell them to look at the ornament you planted. Tell them to touch it. Let them hang one...snap, snap, snap.

Do NOT use a flash!

In the photos here, I actually planted a Flashlight Friend stuffed animal in the tree. This provided more light on their faces. You can use a small flashlight too.

In the photo of my son reading the book in front of the tree, the FL Friend is in the book. I should have hid it better, but I didn't. Oh well. I still like the shot.

For any of you that might wonder, these were edited solely in Lightroom...

Have fun with your tree shots and please share on my page!
www.facebook.com./carolyneraophotography


No comments:

Post a Comment